Local Area Information
Loulé has a number of modern and historical features including:
The Church of Nossa Senhora da Piedade, which is a modern church situated just outside town with an unusual large domed shape. It is an important place of pilgrimage and can be found on the road towards Boliqueime.
The Castle at Loulé dates back to 13th century Moorish origins. Only parts of the original structure remain which includes three towers that can be visited for free. They formed part of the city walls and there is still an old city gate, the Portas do Céu.
The Cine Teatro Louletano – built in 1925, this modern deco theatre hosts plays, ballet and music festivals such as Loule’s annual Jazz festival in July.
Art Catto Gallery can be found opposite the theatre on the tree-lined Avenida José da Costa Mealha. This modern art gallery hosts exhibitions featuring national and international artists.
The Municipal Museum of Archaeology- is a small museum located next to the castle and features artifacts found in the region dating back to Roman times and further to Paleolithic and Neolithic ages.
The Convento do Espirito Santo is a former 17th century monastery and now a private university and art gallery.
There are so many activities to choose from around the local area, these below being a few:-
• Off Road Buggy Tours (located near the villa)
• Horse Riding lessons/tours
• Cycling and Walking tours - cycle hire
• Quad bike hire and tours
• SUP (Stand Up Paddle) lessons
• Aquapark in Quarteria
• Zoomarine in Guia
• Many local beaches and beach bars
• Caves and coastline boat trips
• Dolphin watch cruises
• Pirate ship cruises
• Golf and mini golf courses (everywhere!) Please click here to see Golf Courses near Loule.
• Shopping trips to Faro and Guia - a new major shopping venue - then MAR centre opened in 2017 and is only about a 10 minute drive away. There is an indoor shopping centre, with restaurants and also an outdoor designer outlet.
There are too many good restaurants to mention locally - a guide can be found in the villa and of course there is the beautiful Marina down in Vilamoura.
The Loule and Quarteria train station is close by and for those wishing to go further afield there are fast trains (3 hours) to Lisbon costing around €27 First Class.